So hard to belive that Hillside 2 Haiti's 1st annual 5k is a distant memory. It seems like only yesterday a couple hundred white and blue clad racers took to Bissett Road the early morning of May 31st 2014 to happily navigate the beautiful wonders that the Salt Marsh Trail can offer on a Spring morning.
I have to admit I was quite emotional watching it all play out. I am very thankful for everyone that came out and all that took part in helping to raise over $4500.00! I am happy to report that $4000.00 of that amount will go directly to Haiti with our Missions Team this March 2015. I sat down with Pastor Jay Guptill and Pastor Sharon Guptill yesterday to inquire about exactly where the money was going to go. I was advised that the team has already raised enough money to get them there and the entire $4000.00 would be used to purchase supplies and equipment in Haiti to use while on their Mission. That money would also be used to employ Hatians. This is great news as typically, the Missions team would need to rely on local donations of equipment and supplies to bring with them which is counter productive to their mission of financial stability in the city of Babaco, Port au Prince, Haiti. If they bring, use and spend money in Babaco, the money stays, is used and spent in Babaco thus increasing the financial stability of Babaco. The additional $500.00 left will go towards offsetting a portion of the costs associated with Hillside 2 Haiti 5k 2015!
It's only September and already I am deep into the planning of H2H 5k 2015. I have listened to suggestions from all and have a few things to add that I'm trying to work into this years event.
1. I am trying to organize a Metro Transit Shuttle from the Running Room in Halifax to the event site as it has proven difficult for students to get to the site that early on race day due to bus schedules.
2. I am looking into a little additional 'swag' for the racers (more to follow)
3. We are also looking at the possibility of hosting a few 'training' workshops at the Hillside Wesleyan Sattelite Church on Forest Hills Parkway.
4. The BOGO event was such a success we will be doing it again! It will not be at the end though, we will be doing it for early birds only. - Stay tuned :)
5. Learn to Run the Hillside 2 Haiti 5k will be in session again :) Not only will you learn to run 5k in 8 weeks, you will also learn to run the H2H 5k route so that you will KILL IT on race day! All participants in the clinic receive a free H2H 5k T-shirt and will get a finishers medal upon graduation! Like our Facebook page to keep up to date with all that's going to be happening in the upcoming months!
6. I am working at increasing the safety of all during the road race portion.
Hillside 2 Haiti 5k 2015! Do walking, do running, do something! See you there :)
I began my running journey in March of 2009. I began my journey of faith in September of 2012. Running releases stress from my body while my new found faith releases stress from my mind.